Washington DC Repossession Laws / Recovery Requirements

Where do I refer to for Title or License Registration?

For state Title and License Information, refer to:


Department of Motor Vehicles

301 C Street N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20001


Telephone: (202) 727-6680.


Fees for search of records is $0.50.

Security Interests:

Shown on title held by lienholder.


Recording Requirements:

With Recorder of Deeds for the District. Uniform Commercial Code adopted January, 1965.

Recovery Requirements:

As per the UCC, repossession is allowed and permitted as long as it is peaceful.

Redemption Requirements:

Redemption rights provided for in licensing and inspection regulations.

Deficiency Requirements:

Discretion of Court in foreclosure proceedings permitted after foreclosure. Confession of judgment notes invalid.

Special Motor Vehicle Provisions:

Liens on motor vehicles must be recorded on title to be effective against third parties.

Documents Required to Transfer Ownership of Motor Vehicle:

Title Certificate in lienholder’s name.


Documents Required for Liquidation:

Certified copy of contract, title, inspection if out of state.



Remain with the owner / debtor.



QuickRepo.com does not warrant the accuracy of these laws. The laws listed on QuickRepo.com are only a starting point for reference, and are not meant to be legal advice or a replacement for legal console. Please consult a repo company in your area, county, or state if you have any questions about repossession service there. All recovery requirements and fees are current as of 2002.

View repo laws at RepoLaws.info and repossession laws at RepossessionLaws.info

Repo Company Directory

QuickRepo.com is the Internet's largest directory of repossession companies and recovery experts. If you need a repo man or repo company, this is the place to find one.

Find a Repo Man

QuickRepo.com is here to help you get the repossession, recovery, and legal support you need, quickly and easily.

Repossession Companies