South Dakota Repossession Laws / Recovery Requirements

Quick Answers:


Where do I refer to for Title or License Registration?

For state Title and License Information, refer to:


South Dakota Division of Motor Vehicles

118 W. Capitol Avenue

Pierre, South Dakota 57501-2080


Telephone: (605) 773-3541


Fee for search of records is $1.00.

Security Interests:

Shown on title held by lienholder.


Recording Requirements:

Per the Uniform Commercial Code adopted July, 1967: Recorded with County Registrar of Deeds.

Recovery Requirements:

As per the UCC, repossession is allowed and permitted as long as it is peaceful.

Redemption Requirements:

None after resale by lienholder.

Deficiency Requirements:

If lien instrument provides.

Special Motor Vehicle Provisions:

Lien instrument and certificate of title is delivered to the County Registrar of Deeds and the lien is noted on the title when the lien instrument is filed.

Documents Required to Transfer Ownership of Motor Vehicle:

Certificate of title with lien release, certified copy of contract, affidavit of repossession and application for South Dakota title or certified Power of Attorney.


Documents Required for Liquidation:

Repossession title in name of lienholder. To obtain, need repossession affidavit and copy of contract.



Remain with the vehicle. does not warrant the accuracy of these laws. The laws listed on are only a starting point for reference, and are not meant to be legal advice or a replacement for legal console. Please consult a repo company in your area, county, or state if you have any questions about repossession service there. All recovery requirements and fees are current as of 2002.

View repo laws at and repossession laws at

Repo Company Directory is the Internet's largest directory of repossession companies and recovery experts. If you need a repo man or repo company, this is the place to find one.

Find a Repo Man is here to help you get the repossession, recovery, and legal support you need, quickly and easily.